• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
phpBB3 please

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kikyouchanx

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:55 am Reply with quote
So much better, has better updates, alot of themes and more.. cannot tell you what you're missing.

They are already at phpBB 3.0.5 right now and testing 3.0.6..

This forum could really use a good update from phpBB2 to 3.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Kikyouchanx wrote:
cannot tell you what you're missing.

Please do, because I really don't see any compelling advantages that would convince me to upgrade to phpBB3. Just having the "newest and shiniest" is not in itself an advantage.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:27 am Reply with quote
Here's a side-by-side comparison of phpBB2 and phpBB3 features. There are quite a few interesting improvements there. Message view tracking, automatic thumbnails, better forum search, extended polls, friend/foe list, user groups, much expanded mod tools (merging!), custom BBCode, .. So many things that would make forum life easier for users as well as moderators.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:06 am Reply with quote
Kimiko_0 wrote:
There are quite a few interesting improvements there.

Allowing HTML in posts surely isn't one of them. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:07 am Reply with quote
I'm confused. The comparison that Kimiko_0 linked to makes two really weird assertions. It claims that phpBB2 lacks the capability to allow temporary bans, and does not let users report posts. But ANN definitely has the "report post" feature, and from what Moderators and Admin have threatened said in the past, temporary bans are not only possible but have been used.

So, um, what gives? Is it just that the phpBB people don't know their own features, or are they downplaying version two to get people to upgrade to version three? Or is there another reason? I'm so confused . . .
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:33 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
I'm confused.

phpBB allows for customization. It wouldn't surprise me if these features you discussed were custom added if they weren't available out of the box.

I can see Dan42's point of view in looking at the list. As a programmer, most of the features appear to be user related, not system related. In addition, he'd have to be wary of what would break upon an upgrade, especially noting the disallowing of HTML in posts (SQL injection prevention).
Of course, who uses the strike tag anymore?

As a user, there are two features I'd love to see implemented: bookmarking and multiple quoting. I'm sure the first could be customized with this version, but not sure of the latter. Sure would be nice rather than the hunt/copy/paste technique many of us use today.

Maybe I can entice Dan42 with one awesome feature: XHTML (strict) support. Would force those still using IE6 to comply against their wishes (removes quirk mode from all versions of IE)!

Though, strict does come with some caveats in removing flexible attributes from specific HTML tags.

I'm sure much of Dan42's time is cross-browser compatibility and increased functionality to improve performance.

I couldn't fathom how many of these mundane tasks are removed from an upgrade, or worse, how many new ones would be introduced simply so we can bookmark or admins can temp ban.

A tough decision indeed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1