• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Will We Ever Know Why Anime Get Cancelled?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Essedess

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 5:27 pm Reply with quote
The Maze movie is different. It wasn't canceled. It was outright lost. It was lost alongside the uncensored masters for that show. This is why the US only has the censored DVD version. Fortunately the uncensored series was still available on Laserdisc. With the exception of the OVA, which was only on VHS. The timeline says that sometimes after releasing the last series Laserdisc but before making the Laserdisc for the OVA, all the masters were lost. The TV series still had censored masters, but the movie only had that one.
Triltaison

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Essedess wrote:
The Maze movie is different. It wasn't canceled. It was outright lost. It was lost alongside the uncensored masters for that show. This is why the US only has the censored DVD version. Fortunately the uncensored series was still available on Laserdisc. With the exception of the OVA, which was only on VHS. The timeline says that sometimes after releasing the last series Laserdisc but before making the Laserdisc for the OVA, all the masters were lost. The TV series still had censored masters, but the movie only had that one.

That's my point, though. Like the '07 Jojo's movie referenced in the article it was a completed film that screened for a period of time in Japanese cinemas and vanished except for a few promotional clips. I've heard the rumors that it was lost and all that, but everything I've heard about that is basically fan hearsay passed on down through the ages as a matter of fact like some of the other rumors mentioned in the article. Seemed pertinent enough to mention as another example.

Unless you know of an actual credible source on the record? I haven't looked into the matter in probably over a decade, but I remember everything I read being somewhere between repeating what people heard years ago and stuff lost in a fire. Just seems weird to have lost something so soon after completing it when the studio still exists.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 7:41 pm Reply with quote
One canceled Anime series I can think of is Bubblegum Crisis: Tokyo 2041, which would have been a follow-up to Tokyo 2040. I still love that series for the '90's sci-fi action classic that it is, and would've loved it if the sequel story hadn't fallen through so I could see the characters back in action again.

The only other example I can think of that kinda counts is the storyline that Hiroki Hayashi (who coincidentally also directed Tokyo 2040) would've done if he was still director of the Tenchi Muyo OVA after the first season, before Kajishima wrested complete control from him. After seeing Kajishima follow through on his own personal endgame that nearly crushed my spirit as a Tenchi fan (I'll always have the Universe/Tokyo series at least), it's hard not to think what could have been if Hayashi had remained the showrunner (no harem ending, I know that much for a fact).
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 3:39 am Reply with quote
One other show i can think that got cancelled was the Heaven's Lost Property Season 3.

For some reason they cancelled it and what little was already produced was compiled into the forte movie which is a very convoluted mess. I am surprised that Funimation even licensed it considering what happened altough that was 10 years later.

Did they ever mention what was the circumstances that caused it to be cut down?

Another that i do not know what on earth happened is Sekirei season 3 or whatever follow up they planned. The 2nd season ended on a ''To Be Countinued'' Which is rare for any adaptation and any series that did got one. I mean heck just recently Maou Sama was the last show i remember having a to be coutnuned and it is getting one. Even the funimation cast on the blu ray release when discussing where confidant it was happening. so has any info ever come out that explain what happened?
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 4:38 am Reply with quote
Triltaison wrote:
That's my point, though. Like the '07 Jojo's movie referenced in the article it was a completed film that screened for a period of time in Japanese cinemas and vanished except for a few promotional clips. I've heard the rumors that it was lost and all that, but everything I've heard about that is basically fan hearsay passed on down through the ages as a matter of fact like some of the other rumors mentioned in the article. Seemed pertinent enough to mention as another example.

Unless you know of an actual credible source on the record? I haven't looked into the matter in probably over a decade, but I remember everything I read being somewhere between repeating what people heard years ago and stuff lost in a fire. Just seems weird to have lost something so soon after completing it when the studio still exists.
If I'm not mistaken hasn't stuff like this been proven wrong in the past. Before the Gunbuster dub, a lot of people said the audio masters were lost, and they were unable to record a dub.

I share in your scepticism. There is no way a movie is completed, has cinema prints made and then lost to time. And them being lost in fires, that seems to be a common misunderstanding, the films that have been lost in fires, were all nitrate films made before the 1950s.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 9:24 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Triltaison wrote:

If I'm not mistaken hasn't stuff like this been proven wrong in the past. Before the Gunbuster dub, a lot of people said the audio masters were lost, and they were unable to record a dub.

I share in your scepticism. There is no way a movie is completed, has cinema prints made and then lost to time. And them being lost in fires, that seems to be a common misunderstanding, the films that have been lost in fires, were all nitrate films made before the 1950s.

I believe it was the infamous early-July 1937 Fox vault fire was the real wake-up call for major American film studios to start taking more steps towards film preservation.

Last edited by Kadmos1 on Wed May 08, 2024 10:00 am; edited 1 time in total
omiya

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 9:33 am Reply with quote
That Little Rapscallion wrote:
Suisei no Gargantia's second season being dropped due to various circumstances was the show I'm most disappointed about. Great art, characters, and writing. At least it got some novels but I'd love to see them animated some time.

I bought the OVA's but have yet to watch them.

The series OST went out-of-print so it must have at least sold its initial run.

The presentation of the ED song at Animelo Summer Live 2013 with Minori Chihara was incredibly gorgeous. (Also performed at Nitro Plus 20th anniversary live in 2019).

pachy_boy wrote:
One canceled Anime series I can think of is Bubblegum Crisis: Tokyo 2041, which would have been a follow-up to Tokyo 2040. I still love that series for the '90's sci-fi action classic that it is, and would've loved it if the sequel story hadn't fallen through so I could see the characters back in action again.

Wow, I never knew that. Tracked down CD copies of the OST and still enjoy them.
Key

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 10:18 am Reply with quote
pachy_boy wrote:

2041 is an interesting case because it was being pushed by the American licensor (ADV), but the production never made it past pre-production because (as the story goes) conflicting schedules prevented assembling the original production team. It lingered for years before being de facto ended by the collapse of ADV in 2007. (A planned Farscape animation and a proposed series called Mutineer's Moon suffered the same fate.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lily Garden

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 2:28 pm Reply with quote
This discussion reminds me that one of my current favorite manga, Young Ladies Don't Play Fighting Games, had an anime announcement back in January 2021 and I haven't heard anything since...which makes me a bit pessimistic about it, and that would suck because it deserves being animated for the reaction shots alone...
Akcoll99

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 4:21 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
I recall someone involved with Outlaw Star, it might have been the Mangaka, say that there had been plans for an OVA, which didn't happen because of low viewership or something along those lines, but nothing about a second season.

With Outlaw Star, I kept hearing rumors of a movie. There was even a poster making the rounds on fansites for awhile, but it was either fake or fan art. There was also speculation at one point about Viz licensing the manga (I think stemming from a domain name registration), but nothing ever came of that either (which is also no great loss as it is tonally very different from the anime and was canceled after only 3 volumes...)

I remember reading that Shingu: Secret of the Stellar Wars was originally supposed to be 39 episodes but was cut down to 26 mid-production, forcing the show to speed up its pace and cram the rest of its story into fewer episodes.

And I might be misrembering this one, but I vaguely recall chatter about a season 3 of The Big O from Cartoon Network people in the early 00's...
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 6:36 pm Reply with quote
AsleepBySunset wrote:
I suppose you could say the arifureta cancellation left a sour taste in my mouth.

Don't know where you are getting your information about Arifureta, but I have seen no news saying the third season is getting canceled.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
proposed series called Mutineer's Moon suffered the same fate.)

Thanks for this little nugget from 2003. David Weber's Mutineer's Moon (part of the Dahak trilogy) is one of my all time favorite science fiction novels.

Been hoping it and Glen Cook's The Black Company would get picked up as live action series for the longest time, still nice that ADV thought Mutineer's Moon would make a great tentpole for their production kick-off.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 9:15 pm Reply with quote
I guess I'm still confused as to how MAPPA would be able to prevent the Yuri on Ice movie from being made. It sounds like they were just the animation studio that made the series as opposed to being rights holders... that's the whole reason the title didn't make much money for their company despite being a big hit, right? So if they are not the rights holders, how come they get to decide if the movie gets made or not? Can't the rights holders just hire a different studio?
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Pour one out for the cancelled second season of Stellvia.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I guess I'm still confused as to how MAPPA would be able to prevent the Yuri on Ice movie from being made. It sounds like they were just the animation studio that made the series as opposed to being rights holders... that's the whole reason the title didn't make much money for their company despite being a big hit, right? So if they are not the rights holders, how come they get to decide if the movie gets made or not? Can't the rights holders just hire a different studio?

Isn't MAPPA the low man on the totem pole of the production committee?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3