• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) Ancient Magus' Bride (TV).

Goto page Previous  

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 12:39 am Reply with quote
S2 #21

The showdown between Zoe and the surviving werewolf confused me initially, but that last shot of Zaccheroni in the trees gave me my answer. Assuming I'm not reading it wrong, Zaccheroni has the ability to temporarily possess targets in the same way he summons familiars and gives them commands in some capacity. Either that, or something intervened on behalf of Zoe and was able to accurately find the fetters binding the werewolf to the Sargent family. Either way, Zoe survives and fulfils his part of the bargain in doing what help he can for his friends.

Alcyone did not betray her household, nor did she abandon her duty to Philomela. By letting the students pass and holding Elias at bay, she can't be faulted for not doing right to both sides. Taking temporary custody of Philomela's soul is a surprise, and one with ramifications we viewers probably won't fully understand even by the end of the adaptation. It's a heavy price to pay just for improved stealth during clandestine missions.

The rest of the episode is really the main event; Chise and the others doing what they can for Philomela. With almost impeccable timing, the final pieces behind the Webster tragedy are also revealed. I'm not sure if the motive behind the assault will be revealed in the remaining airtime, but most of the lingering questions from last season have been answered one way or another in this episode. Will the students be able to save Philomela without assistance from Elias and before the Sargent matriarch finishes her ritual?
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2023 7:44 am Reply with quote
S2 #22

It would not be too inappropriate to think Philomela really is the protagonist for this story arc rather than Chise and Elias. Again, the episode focuses a lot on her lack of agency and will, as well as the conditioning imposed on her that let to this state of affairs. Even her grandmother's backstory feels like more supporting evidence of Philomela's state of mind, rather than fleshing out why the old matriarch is the person she's turned out to be. Given the depths to which she's been plunged into, thematically it's no surprise it is her friends who have to dig her out of the mire, through their actions at school and their agency at the mansion.

There's not much to sympathize with the old Matriarch, other than she too was a slave to tradition and chose her own way to overturn the expectations of those around her. She too has underestimated the power of other branches of magic, so the trailer indicates if she can't use her granddaughter as a vessel she will have to do it herself. Unlike Philomela, it will be much more difficult to subdue her given her talent and experience.

The wild card is Alcyone. It is not entirely clear what Elias has done to her beyond shattering the "improvement" Philomela's grandmother imposed on her. If she is to fulfil her duty after all these years, facing the matriarch and protecting Philomela at the cost of her own existence sounds like a fitting way to exit the stage. Will it come to that? Or does the adaptation have more surprises in store for viewers?
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2023 6:28 pm Reply with quote
S2 #23

For a show which doesn't have action as its main selling point, this episode surprised me with how the struggle against the matriarch and the summoned being is depicted. Although it's not flashy in terms of animation, it moves along briskly and one gets the sense of just how desperate the struggle is for Chise and the others while Morrigan and Ruth fend off the mass of tentacles. What action there is still serves as support to the storyline though, as myriad forces collide and the stage is set for Philomela to finally end the nightmare she has been living in since her parents were killed.

That's another favour Chise owes Morrigan, and she's going to struggle repaying it without advice from Elias. Morrigan doesn't seem to fussed about it at present while she's keeping the being occupied, but the final spear attack more or less means the end of the temporary bargain and the price paid for the help might be steep.

As for Lucy, it seems unlikely she'll get the full story from the matriarch. The surviving werewolf and Philomela with her memories back can fill in some details, the rest is for her and her brother to discover for themselves if Philomela gives them permission to search the mansion. I'm not expecting the matriarch to survive the experience, and even if she did she wouldn't be much help anyway.

The trailer indicates the students survived the experience, while Zaccheroni might be the key to ensuring the werewolf doesn't leave empty-handed. Still a few loose story threads to close, but there should be enough time.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2023 11:09 pm Reply with quote
S2 #24

Not a bad way to finish this adaptation. Lizbeth Sargent gets what's coming to her, and Philomela finally rids herself of the curse (literal and figurative) that has hung over her for years. The series has always introduced supernatural elements in a very piecemeal way, so casual viewers won't know exactly what Philomela summoned to recall the unknown deity which her grandmother called forth. There are clues given by Morrigan, but if there is a full explanation given it will have to wait for future adaptations.

Morrigan finally receives the (overdue) payment she asked for, and she gives something in return to Chise and Elias. Ruth is right; if she had asked for decapitated heads it would have been much more troublesome for Chise to gather. Will Chise learn the lesson Elias and Joseph are trying to impart? Probably not, especially if her friends are in mortal peril and she's compelled to act to save them.

Veronica receiving the tome really came out of left field, but it means her story isn't finished and Veronica's ties to Philomela might endure into future adaptations. Her motives remain inscrutable, and if she decides to act against Chise and the others she'll be formidable to take on.

This kind of storytelling is on its way out, since viewers nowadays really want the instant payoff that comes with most recent adaptations. Although the pacing could swing wildly from one extreme to another, this franchise has never failed to entertain viewers willing to put in the hours and taking notes. Always better to watch in one go because of its storytelling style, but I've not regretted coming back to this and am naturally looking forward to the FiendBane adaptation when it eventually airs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 13 of 13