• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Helck (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
camseyeview140

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2023 9:30 pm Reply with quote
I really like this one. it's funny, creative, silly, and just amusing in all the ways I want a show with a premise like this to be.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Episode 8

Who else thinks that the Great Witch is an older version of Vermikins??? I swear, there is some kind of time hijinks going on with that island. Anyway, I'm glad Fuzzball is going back to the continent with them. Such a fun show! Vermilion freaking out over stuff never gets old.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2023 2:41 am Reply with quote
I was wavering between that or mother until Piwi joined Anne on her adventure. "Younger Piwi, older Piwi, got it."
Then I had a further idea and thought "oh that makes sense."
Then that had its own realization and I thought "that's pretty clever."

We know the portal put Helck and Vermilio through space but what it put them in the future as well? But if they're in the future then who did Azudra detect? The witch. Coming across more ruins as they approach the continent would make more sense for dystopian future then their present world that's in a stalemate.

I noticed that Vermilio has a tendency not to ask for names so Piwi was Fuzzball and it makes sense that Great Witch was still the Great Witch to her. But of all the characters to mention they look alike, I never would have guessed Helck. Vermilio has an intellect but no intellectual curiosity? I know it's been a constant since her first appearance but for... the Old Witch... to be introduced as an inventor and Samaritan would suggest it's part of the plot. Just ask people things, Anne. She spent the night with a witch that she knows is stronger than her and looks like her but didn't ask any questions?!

I know the repeated shots of the Colstag chewing its cud was a cost saving measure but it still made me laugh, especially the last one which was just a still image. At that point, the show was just negging us. "We know that you know but we don't care. It could have been this, what would you say to that?"
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2023 10:39 am Reply with quote
Interesting episode this week, it once again reinforced the notion that Helck may seem like a cheery dude, but he is just barely holding back the darkness behind his smile. Given how the kingdom is I expect some less than cheerful fights and Helck may snap due to them.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2023 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Gonna be real here, this week's episode was by far the weakest one so far. Almost nothing of note happened and it felt rather mundane when compared to all the previous episodes.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12

Looks like we are finally gonna get some answers as to what Helck's deal is. And hopefully, they are going to link back up with the others, finally.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2023 2:41 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I have to admit, not a lot of progress has been made when it comes to the main conflict. It is a lot of side stuff so far. Good side stuff though.
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2023 10:59 am Reply with quote
The second half of this episode made me want to watch the next. I've been on the edge about dropping this show for a while. I don't care much at all about the demons, so the first half of the episode was a waste. I watch it mostly for the HelckXAnne interplay and Piwi.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2023 9:29 am Reply with quote
Episode 13

Interesting background on Helck and his brother, Cless. Helck has mentioned he killed his brother so I'm very curious as to how that came about. I know that flashbacks bring the narrative to a halt but to tell you the truth I found this stuff more interesting than Helck and Vermilion's trek across the continent, so far.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Well, of course Mikaros needs to die in a fire, but he better not take out Azudra before someone lights him up or I'll strike the match myself.

I'm not sure how I feel about this story now. It's turned out less like the adventure it promised to be and more like just a heartbreaking tragedy unfolding, and I exit each episode just feeling sad and angry. I dunno, in spite of the fantasy trappings, it hits too close to the evil of real life for me to think of it as entertainment anymore. At least I know the bad guys will be dispatched by the end, which is more than I can say for the real world.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 6:01 am Reply with quote
Ep 24

Vermilio's obviously watched a lot of anime. "Show me the body!"

MAL sez this is the last episode, but they seemed to have a preview at the end and the story certainly didn't end at all. They better be wrong about that, or I'm tossing the production committee onto the pyre with Mikaros. I don't see how they'd wrap up all the loose ends they've left dangling even with 2 more episodes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2