• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(A) Playthrough of a Certain Dude's VRMMO Life (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Edjwald

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2023 5:21 pm Reply with quote
I got bored with the Fairy Ball, but I thought the way it ended was pretty fun. I can see where the Fairy Queen might be annoying to some people - on another day, I might be one of them - but of all the background characters on this show, I think she has the most life. Which is possibly ironic since she's supposed to be an NPC, but there you go. Also, the show has been building up to transition from a slow build slice of life to "dude caught up in events spiraling out of his control" for a while now, and it looks like it's almost there. I'm up for it.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2023 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Some more dungeon action this week, earth did not have to go at it alone though, he had the power rangers with him, which made for a rather energetic adventure. There was also more crafting to allow Earth to prepare himself for new features/dangers. That shield bow looks pretty useful in a pinch for example. There was also a bit more of the queen of fairies, who is still a bit too real for a npc.

Halfway done and the series is still an amusing watch that is nothing special.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 5:48 am Reply with quote
The show's getting a little weirder, and I like it. Personally, I thought the Power Ranger Rip-offs had some legitimate entertainment value, and the Fairy Queen's courtship is low key amusing too. As to things like making a shield that can fire a missile weapon...Earth's use of his craftmanship skills to make weird equipment that lend to unique fighting styles is one element of the show that I've appreciated all along.

Better than par.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 5:13 am Reply with quote
This week Earth managed to clear the undead dungeon, well one branch of it. Given the random floors and multiple possible secret bosses on the last floor it feels a bit like a roguelite game wise. The reward for beating said boss is kind iffy though. Yeah, you unlock a new weapon for the whole server, yet there is a decent chance that it is not a weapon you can use. Earth had to use a lot of potions, arrows and even break/damage multiple weapons and all he got in the end was unlocking a stronger sword plus an old sword that may be worth a bit of money.

Those shoes are still ugly as hell btw.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 3:02 pm Reply with quote
So, with the 8th episode I am really starting to wonder about what the devs of the game are doing in the background. They are speaking of learning ai's being out into the game world and showing some pretty evil smiles and smirks.

They also made the boneheaded decision to strongly encourage pure builds, thus disincentivizing hybrid builds. That sure is one way to kill a lot of creativity when it comes to crafting a build of your own and trying out skill combinations.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 3:59 am Reply with quote
Episode 9

Did I miss the part when this show transitioned from mostly being a playing of a VRMMO, with all said mechanics, to now feeling like just an extra boring isekai anime where he has to do things like avoid being lured into a girl's bedroom and sneak away from the NPCs that are just people now?

I know the episode was saying it is a game, but big chunks of it didn't feel like it is just a game that he can just log out of. It felt like a weird identity crisis.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 5:35 am Reply with quote
Yah, I'm not entirely sure what's going on either, and I don't know if it's because of the intentional ambiguity or a muddled setting/plot.

The fairies and their kingdom don't feel like part of the regular game at any rate.

And double yah, the nerfing does seem like it has an ulterior motive outside of game balance, but I can't figure out what the point of it would be.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 1:17 pm Reply with quote
The newest episode does raise a good question in how realistic you want your npc's to be. Having them be so realistic/unpredictable can make for some very annoying or unfortunate moments, especially if you just want to chill in a game without worry. Also, dear devs, making a special vr helmet for just one specific game is a great way to bankrupt the studio.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:11 am Reply with quote
I am still unsure if the shady board meetings are supposed to be taken seriously or like an elaborate gag. Anyhow, the series still manages to amuse with things like a baby dragon and rescue mission.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Well, the final episode ended with a fight and a parting. It was okay and I can say the same about the entire series. For once the title really is all you need to know about a show. An average dude playing a VRMMO and trying to be lowkey while getting involved in all kinds of nonsense. Questing, crafting, fighting, it is all there and there are worse shows, though also many better ones.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 4:58 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

I would say the show was pretty awful, helped only by the fact that the main character was not too annoying, or wasn't super dumb ecchi. Honestly, I found it mostly pretty boring, probably made worse when it shifted from being low key some dude just doing stuff in an VRMMO, and just being another wish fulfilment power fantasy.

If I were to compare to another series, the most obvious choice feels like it would Bofuri, where you have a VRMMO featuring a main character who isn't really chasing to break the game but apparently is in playing their way. The thing is that Bofuri is really funny in how it does breaking the game thing with tech team, is really charming, fun to look at, and the character are more likable than just able to put up with.

I think here the two noticeable things with the main character, the double bow and spike shoes, just look really dumb and I have to think would be super impractical. How in heck could he possibly walk around in those shoes? He would lose grip on the ground, if he bent his foot they would trip him, and they would ruin his whole stealth build. He had to be the only guy that invented and perfected cooking, had a broken bow build, experimented and created the good alchemy bombs, and is the very special extra loved by all the in game faeries because he just exists.

The show was actually any good when it was just some guy playing a game, there was maybe something there. But I think it really lost any of that when it decided to go the power fantasy route, and then felt like it totally lost its identity when it started to feel like an isekai of a world with a deep history, despite just being a game that only recently came into existence. The mod team said the green dragon was really old, was that a literal fact like all the AI were grown organically in a super speed existence before players, or do all the exist as made up history where none of them realise they are all like 6 months old?

Maybe there is an intention of intrigue here, but it just could not get me to care. When the random wolf happened to win and turn into the fairy queen, it really had me groan it just became a romantic comedy thing. Her personality felt like it was fully written up with history, but she was just some random player combat pet AI that was treated like a tool, right? Are we meant to buy AI algorithms that were able to create immersive NPCs with a bit too good AI programs, or straight up magical people?

It kind of just threw away almost every other human character in the last few episodes, in favour of the AI that I guess we are meant to believe just think are real. All of that was meant to supposed to be charming, but the more I think about it the more it kind of just feels actually pretty creepy. He went into a game that at the start had him interact with a lot of real people, but in the end it is a bunch constructed people that force him into giving them his attention, and don't even realise their own artifice.

My rating will be Not really good (4/10), at least not offensive, except for maybe things that felt so generic it somehow gave me an appreciation of other shows that do better. And I say that somehow makes me stop from putting it lower, being able to be as mediocre as it is without having something to use as an excuse to stop, making it not a total waste.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 5:15 am Reply with quote
I agree that the stuff with the board members or game creators or whoever those dudes were felt more like scenes hastily inserted to try to create a sense of a background plot without actually having one.

I watched this show all the way through, which says something. But I doubt I'll ever watch it again, which says something else.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 5:17 am Reply with quote
Yeah, Earth trying random things and succeeding because of it makes one think of Bofuri, yet there is none of the same charm. Maple is very charming while she walks around being overpowered as hell and committing poisonous war crimes, Earth is just a very bland dude. As for the other characters... besides the fairy queen and power rangers I can barely remember any.

Then there is the whole AI thing, given the shady dev discussions it is probably supposed to be about machine learning possibly being dangerous and how the characters are becoming increasingly real. In the case of Earth it means meeting mostly annoying characters that bother him. I am still unsure if the whole theme is meant as a joke or a serious thing you are supposed to think about.

Given the end of the episode we might even get a second season, I am unsure if I would watch that since I am trying to watch less mediocre anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2