• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Unnamed Memory

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
Shouldn't this have been a big incident and a major investigation? I mean the most obvious suspect was an envoy from another nation... that's the kind of thing that can lead to war!

So does your envoy disappearing and never returning. Will there be any fallout from his death? If so, will we just be told about it and how it was resolved, or get to actually see some consequences?

I really liked the first episode, and I'm not hating this yet, but I feel a little more disappointed each week when so much is glossed over or entirely skipped that it no longer makes any sense. Since I haven't read the source material, it's damning that I can tell I'm not getting the whole story, or even the most important parts.
Leviathonlx1

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2024 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Definitely disappointing this train wreck got reviews while poor Yatagarasu got looked over due to a later start.
Kiwi93

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 6:02 pm Reply with quote
As someone who absolutely loves the light novels I have been disappointed with this adaptation this series deserved better.
myskaros

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 6:07 pm Reply with quote
As someone who dropped the LN series after somehow finishing volume 1, it's nevertheless sad to see the adaptation keeping those same stupid tropes and losing at least 1 other potential fan in the reviewer. I don't like seeing other people dislike a series, but I do feel some solace in not being the only one when I usually see Unnamed Memory praised in the LN reading community.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 8:06 pm Reply with quote
I feel like a big issue of this adaption is because they jump around so much, both in terms of plot points and Oscar and Tinasha's relationship, stuff just feels like it happens with no emotional meaning or investment. So the romance which is the emotional center of the story feels so...lacking, though that's also an issue on both a direction and animation front.

I must have totally blocked out the scene of Oscar taking Tinasha to his bed. It feels really out of place and out of character. For someone who acts like he respects and cares about Tinasha so much, cutting her off from her magic and only means of defending herself so you can force yourself on her because you're jealous is a really bad look. And trying to "scare" her is no justification for it. I'm genuinely surprised Tinasha basically just shrugged it off afterwards.

Also why did he not remove the bracelet when he went to make his declaration at court? There was literally no reason to keep it on her by that point especially after she freaked out and Oscar realized how badly he'd screwed up.

I see ENGI used up what little good action animation they were capable of in the first two episodes.
andramus

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 10:09 pm Reply with quote
I just ordered the first two light novels of Unnamed Memory almost to spite this anime or at least in spite of it.

Watching this series is immensely frustrating because it feels obvious that a lot of content is being skipped.

Other light novel anime adaptations have skipped content but still managed to do so in a fairly seamless fashion. Re:Zero was the first light novel series that I read after watching the anime. I was surprised how many details the anime left out and some things ended up making more sense reading the novels. For example some of Subaru's actions felt more thought out and less impulsive/stupid than they did in the anime.

There is nothing seamless about Unnamed Memory's anime adaptation. I cannot bring myself to believe that this series is representative of the novels in any fashion.

Apparently Tappei Nagatsuki - the author of Re:Zero - is a fan of the Unnamed Memory novels and was looking forward to this anime adaptation. I have to wonder if he's rolling in his grave at this point.
Glordit

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 1:15 am Reply with quote
I've seen 12 episodes get squeezed out from 1 volume and it was good.
This can barely make a coherent story from anything.

All the leading up to and conclusions of the major story events just happen off screen and you are expected to know about it. When did the Oscar and Tinasha get close? Why was the miad not vetted before entering the castle? Why did Oscar instantly assume Tinasha was cheating on him when he didn't have any real evidence? She even states multiple times she is not really interested in a relationship. Zero monologue and zero dialogue on the subject other than "I'm going to punish you now" and "oops I beat the shit out of an innocent person without using diplomacy". Let's now more on to the next part.

It's frustrating and makes watching it a chore.
ab2143

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 1:24 am Reply with quote
Oscar’s becoming more and more insufferable. Nark is the only reason why I’ll keep watching
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 1:41 am Reply with quote
andramus wrote:
Apparently Tappei Nagatsuki - the author of Re:Zero - is a fan of the Unnamed Memory novels and was looking forward to this anime adaptation. I have to wonder if he's rolling in his grave at this point.

Maybe...if he were dead. You had me worried, wondering if I'd missed the news somehow. Mad

And buying the LNs doesn't spite them, since it's exactly what they're hoping will happen. Sometimes I wonder if bad adaptations really are bad to get you to buy the source material instead, if they can pique your interest enough to find out how the story actually goes.

MFrontier wrote:
Also why did he not remove the bracelet when he went to make his declaration at court? There was literally no reason to keep it on her by that point...

I wondered about that too. Was there some sort of days-long ritual to remove it or something? Putting it on was a breeze, so removing it should have been easily done, well before calling the gathering for his announcement, like say, immediately after apologizing for putting it on (grrr, all the excuses I thought of for why he didn't - he got busy with something else; something came up - sounded like dumb euphemisms. :/ ).
Jenog

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 2:16 am Reply with quote
I'm following the manga with interest and it seems like an interesting adaptation: beautiful drawings, slow pace, developed characters. So you'd expect me to want to watch the anime. But something I was afraid of is happening: adapting six volumes of the novel into twelve episodes means two episodes per volume, which means a lot of important events will be skipped and the relationships between the main characters are only sketched out. And even if they only adapt the first four volumes (for example) my comments stand. In short: the work is being butchered. It reminds me of the anime adaptation of "Dimension W" where the story was told so quickly that, if I hadn't read the manga, I wouldn't have realised what was going on.
And, by the way, a small remark to a commentator who said "I have to wonder if he (Tappei Nagatsuki) is rolling in his grave at this point." I find it difficult because I think he's still alive.
andramus

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 5:01 am Reply with quote
The "rolling in his grave" thing in my previous comment was just a silly attempt at a bit euphemistic wordplay on my part.

The phrase "rolling in their grave" is often used to convey how bad an adaptation of someone's work is that it's even bothering them after they are dead. I was trying to suggest in a joking fashion that this adaptation is so bad that it could put Tappei in his grave just so he could roll in it.

Obviously I know Tappei isn't the original author but it was his purported fandom that piqued my interest in this series and tipped the scales enough for me to buy the novels. The anime on it's own wouldn't have done that although I did find the first episode intriguing.
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 8:18 am Reply with quote
And the winner of character with the most wasted potential in 2024 goes to... Miralys! No other submissions necessary!

Seriously, she was probably the most intriguing character in show and there was a chance she could be fully fleshed out and interesting later. And then... nothing, she's just gone. Or not gone? Her body is alive but has no soul? What was that sacrifice even fore? When the episode started and it was obvious that Tinasha was suffering from PTSD from Lanak(?) I thought her and Miralys would be kindred spirits with a common enemy since he killed Valt (who seemed to know the witches), but I guess there's no chance of that happening.

And why was Miralys so strong despite having her magic sealed twice over? She summoned a monster wolf that Oscar couldn't beat without a trick and all those orbs, why were we supposed to think she was weak?

And what did they do with Miralys' body? Please tell me they aren't keeping her body around for making royal babies from Oscar's extracted fluids. Shocked It wouldn't be the strangest thing to happen in this series, I wouldn't put it past them.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
b-dragon

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 8:34 am Reply with quote
Oof. Big oof. I wouldn't normally comment that I'm dropping a show- its not an airport, etc- but this has been a remarkably frustrating show. I had been hanging on to the idea that the story was good, but if adaptation was too rushed and choppy. If they ever got to the point that the director wanted, they might be able to slow down, take their time, and make it the show actually work. Naive nonsense, but I wanted to like the show I did- and still do- think there is a lot of potential here.

And thats the tragedy, to me. I earnestly do believe that there is a good story here. It is not the one being told, clearly (and I have no idea how much of that is an adaptational issue,) but I think all the ingredients are here. They're just thrown together haphazardly. There's nothing emotional to attach to- our leads have potential, but outside of still cuts in the OP we don't really see them connect to each other. And they seem to have any interesting elements written out of their portrayals. Tinasha fares better- she has the mystery around their past- but thats not enough to attach to when dragged out this long. I can't really say Oscar acted out of character because his stoicism has stripped him of most of his character to begin with. Add to that emotional issue issue the logical weirdness that naturally arises from such a disjointed and rushed pace and the tale is a mess. And why does no one ever ask questions? About the Witch of Silence, the red orb, the disappearing heirs, the maid's credentials and that's all off the top of my head. I hope there's a reason, but I'm not seeing one
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 1:37 pm Reply with quote
So... he's a yandere?
I guess you can at least say that he quickly realized what he did was terrible... ^^;

This show definitely benefits from being the only thing coming out on Tue. that I'm watching...

MFrontier wrote:
Also why did he not remove the bracelet when he went to make his declaration at court? There was literally no reason to keep it on her by that point especially after she freaked out and Oscar realized how badly he'd screwed up.

I was thinking the same thing (not to mention why he did that at all), but I can only think that it was left on so that she could get injured and they would have to fight together. In other words, just for the set up of the plot. There's no reason he wouldn't have removed it right after he finished "scaring" her and saw her reaction if he had any sense left.
Key

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 2:45 pm Reply with quote
b-dragon wrote:
If they ever got to the point that the director wanted, they might be able to slow down, take their time, and make it the show actually work. Naive nonsense, but I wanted to like the show I did- and still do- think there is a lot of potential here.

And thats the tragedy, to me. I earnestly do believe that there is a good story here. It is not the one being told, clearly (and I have no idea how much of that is an adaptational issue,) but I think all the ingredients are here. They're just thrown together haphazardly.

This is about exactly where I stand. Still feel this series has potential, but for the last couple of episodes in particular it's been tripping over its own feet pretty hard. I'll still follow it out, but I may follow the lead of a couple of others and check out the novels.

But here's the odd thing: based on the chapter titles of the first novel, the adaption actually isn't rushing things much. Episode 5's title aligns with the title of Chapter 10 (the final one) of novel 1. Other chapter titles suggest that the anime is adapting at a more or less consistent two-chapters-per-episode pace. Make me much more curious about what's going wrong here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3