• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
DeepDiscountDVD is cheap

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 2:38 pm Reply with quote
I just realized just how much I can save by going to DDD to buy anime DVD's. As much as $12!!!

But how do they do that?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
YUGI

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Those are legitament too. They have a big warehouse so they can access dvd's faster than most retail stores.
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:25 pm Reply with quote
My wish list is getting extraordinaryly long.

It doesn't quite help the fact that I've downloaded at least 90 series, OVA's and movies since May 2003, and I've liked 90% of them.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
gnollman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:53 pm Reply with quote
kusanagi-sama wrote:
But how do they do that?

High sales, and selling at just above cost. I don't know how profitable they are, but they appear to have a great deal of traffic and sales going on. Of course, with prices like that and positive (if not really good) customer service, it's hardly a surprise....
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Oh, I noticed that I could buy 2 DVD's for the price of 1 at Suncoast.
Emerje

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 4:14 pm Reply with quote
They buy the same way that Walmart or Best Buy does, in large bulk lots (probably directly from the manufacturer) at a discount. They probably make as much off of a DVD for $20 as another store gets from a $30 DVD. Also, in being online they they have little overhead, probably just a large warehouse with a dozen employees as apposed to a full store front with that needs constant upkeep which means more of the profits go back into them rather than into bills.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
techno_techie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 1:07 pm Reply with quote
God bless the 20% of coupons they add in addition to their low prices.
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 3:58 pm Reply with quote
The thing is, with as much anime I've seen and liked, it'll take over 3 years to catch up on what I've seen that I want to buy.

This isn't including licensed anime that haven't been released yet, and their release dates haven't been announced yet. Which if included will take quite a bit longer.

Which is why the last new anime series I'll download for a while will be Ah! My Goddess TV series, and of course I'll buy that when its licensed.
one3rd

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 9:10 pm Reply with quote
DDD also doesn't seem to do any advertising of any kind. I suspect that much of what is on the front page of DDD are paid ads.
ShellBullet

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Yes, DDD is great. The only thing I could wish for is easier navigable pages. Under the "anime" classification you can find stuff like My Little Pony or Mutant Ninja Turtles which is a little annoying. Also, it would be good if they could list their titles by series rather than by volume, especially for the longer series like Dragonball that I am forced to wade through as I look for stuff I actually want. I suppose I shouldn't be complaining though Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop
Alias

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Since many recommended DDD.

I decided to try it for the first time to see how the service is.

Order was placed this Monday for 2 dvd box set cost almost $190.

Ship by UPS 2nd day air.

Schedule to arrive this Friday.

So it takes them 3 days to process.
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 10:44 pm Reply with quote
They have good prices, but the free shipping is slow, 5-10 days, of course they are using the USPS.

Totally different than something like NewEgg, which processess your order in less than 24 hours, and ships it, and then you receive it within 5 days (depending on what shipping option you chose, 2-3 day Shipping takes 2-3 days, and standard shipping takes ~5 days, I usually receive items in 4-5 days)
Tiresias

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Usually when I order from them, the processing time is around 1 day. The great thing with them though, is that they are located all of 3 hours north of me, and even with the free standard shipping, I usually receive things within 1-2 days of them being shipped. I just placed a good sized order, loaded mostly with preorders for releases on the 12th, on the 4th, it was processed yesterday, shipped out today, and I'll probably have it on my doorstep either tomorrow or Friday. That's the great thing about the USPS, if it's being shipped within the state, it generally doesn't take more than 2 days for delivery.

Of course I do get charged sales tax, but even then, the price is still lower than what I can get before taxes at the stores, a lot lower. Besides, I think they only charge 6% tax while our local sales tax is 7.5%, so even that's discounted.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 1:49 am Reply with quote
When somethng has free shipping, it will always be slow. Shipping cost money. Amazon also offer free shipping but thiers can take 2 weeks just for them to process it.
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 6:33 am Reply with quote
I guess I could afford the extra $4.95 for the 2-3 day shipping.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1