• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Are the amazon dvds legit

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Slayer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Hi Im looking to complete a couple of my collections of anime but I am low on cash. ANyways when I go to amazon they have deals for about 12 or less US dollars. They say they are the official US release so I am interested In buying since I need to complete my Rahxephon collection. I also want to know if there is insurance just in case they send me the wrong product or a bootleg. THank you for your input Smile
Sword of Whedon

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 10:11 pm Reply with quote
There is no insurance against bootlegs

Amazon is full of boots unless you're buying new from them
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 1:31 am Reply with quote
All of Amazon's new anime is legit, it's their used DVDs you need to watch out for. Just be sure to do your homework and compare what they're selling to the official releases from credable sources. As they say, if it looks too good to be true it probably is, this is especially true for box sets.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
darkhunter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 1:34 am Reply with quote
Amazon used item are sold by individual. These are usually bootleg. Your best bet is to buy the Rahxephon DVD on Ebay, they're selling for about 7-9 dollar each. For some reason, a lot of ADV dvd are selling really cheap. Make sure they're the legit ADV one. One with 7 DVD. Then get the movie+box from deepdiscountdvd.com

3 DVD boxset for a 26 episode series is always a guarantee bootleg.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 2:01 am Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:

Em, don't be so sure. There are 45 episodes on 7 DVDs for legit boxset of Junni Kokki by Catalyst Logic (R3, Taiwan); disks 1-4 contain 7 episodes each. Fans were enraged, saying this is no different from bootlegs. Nice steel box didn't gain much popularity since most fans are thirst for cover arts by Akihiro Yamada. The packaging by Catalyst Logic will have only two boxes (box 1 for disks 1-4 / eps 1-28; box 2 for disks 5-7 / eps 29-45, shown below):

I'm still considering whether to buy it or not.

EDIT: URL of Catalyst Logic updated.

Last edited by dormcat on Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Tagarth

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 11:28 am Reply with quote
Some known chinese DVD bootleg companies are:
FX
AV
DV

These companies are probably the biggest bootleging companies for north america, because they operate out of China (Who has laz laws on bootlegging). FX is very sneaky because they use american DVDs with the english dubs and subs (I.E not subed by a chinese guy who doesen't know the american names). The other companies will normaly have english pakaging, but no English Dub. And they do try to cram 26 epsisode shows on 3 or 4 disks.

One interesting thing about chinese bootlegs (That doesent apply to anime DVDs), is if there is a little hole by the inner CD hole, it means it DID come from america, and that the US publisher made an error on the CD cover or on the pakage. SO they sell them to China dirt cheap, and they in turn sell it out for a couple bucks a piece. The more you know...
Sword of Whedon

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
One interesting thing about chinese bootlegs (That doesent apply to anime DVDs), is if there is a little hole by the inner CD hole, it means it DID come from america, and that the US publisher made an error on the CD cover or on the pakage. SO they sell them to China dirt cheap, and they in turn sell it out for a couple bucks a piece. The more you know...

That's not true at all.

You're talking about cutouts, and they certainly aren't sold for "a couple bucks each". They might knock 20-30% off.

I have never seen an anime DVD cutout, the only marking that's done is punching out the UPC for screeners to physical packaging.
Tagarth

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Sword of Whedon wrote:
Quote:
(That doesent apply to anime DVDs)

You're talking about cutouts, and they certainly aren't sold for "a couple bucks each". They might knock 20-30% off.

I have never seen an anime DVD cutout, the only marking that's done is punching out the UPC for screeners to physical packaging.

Ok, did you notice I said this "doesent apply to anime DVDs"?

I was talking with someone who visited china, and they had bought a lot of these "Cutout" dvds and cds for "A doller a piece, sometimes two". They had a little hole near the inner hole. A friend gave me such a CD, and he got it along with twenty other cds for a $1.25 a piece, he got them in china.

Maybe Cutouts from around here (Or SOME from china) are as cheap as you say, but the ones I am refering to ARE from china and they only cost a doller or two.
Sword of Whedon

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 1:36 pm Reply with quote
What I'm saying is that they're bootlegs, maybe boots masquerading as cutouts, but cutouts are NEVER that cheap.

And cutout is never done on the actual disc itself
Tagarth

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
What I'm saying is that they're bootlegs, maybe boots masquerading as cutouts, but cutouts are NEVER that cheap.

And cutout is never done on the actual disc itself

Well, I never called them cut outs in my original post. These cuts are made on the disk, and they do originate from the north american companies.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 2:02 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
darkhunter wrote:

Em, don't be so sure. There are 45 episodes on 7 DVDs for legit boxset of Junni Kokki by Catalyst Logic (R3, Taiwan); disks 1-4 contain 7 episodes each. Fans were enraged, saying this is no different from bootlegs. Nice steel box didn't gain much popularity since most fans are thirst for cover arts by Akihiro Yamada. The packaging by Catalyst Logic will have only two boxes (box 1 for disks 1-4 / eps 1-28; box 2 for disks 5-7 / eps 29-45, shown below):

I'm still considering whether to buy it or not.

I don't know how this prove my statement wrong. First, it's not 26 episode. The first 28 episode is on 4 Disc. But I'm not trying to be technical.

My main point is if you're looking for a 26 episode series with english subtitle or audio, it shouldn't be on 3 Disc at all.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 5:50 pm Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
I don't know how this prove my statement wrong. First, it's not 26 episode. The first 28 episode is on 4 Disc. But I'm not trying to be technical.

My main point is if you're looking for a 26 episode series with english subtitle or audio, it shouldn't be on 3 Disc at all.

My point was that even legit licensers might stuff up to 7 episodes per disc. We don't have such an R1 DVD yet, but who knows? I'm not a marketing expert, but I'd say adding 1-2 episodes per disc (in exchange of some extras) while keeping the same price tag may attract more potential customers. This is not true in Juuni Kokki's case I've mentioned, however; its fanbase is more dedicated and die-hard in average and are yearning for its extras for their artistic value. Therefore, it's up to those people in marketing department to judge which way could bring the maximum profit (both in cash and in reputation) for themselves.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Tiresias

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Actually, Fruits Basket, the new Fushigi Yugi release and a couple of other newer releases have hit the 7 episode per disc count. Hell, Risky Safety even has 8 per disc, of course those episodes are 10 min each, but still. The high episode count per DVD shouldn't be used as a be all end all of telling bootlegs, but in most cases it should clue you in to do some research on the official release. You know, check out just how many episodes are on a disc and how many discs in the series.
Sword of Whedon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Well, I never called them cut outs in my original post. These cuts are made on the disk, and they do originate from the north american companies.

Then what they probably are are defects earmarked for destruction that are stolen. More likely than that they are simply full-on copies of the original down to the label
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1