• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Trouble finding some releases in Canada?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:36 am Reply with quote
A question for other Canadians like myself.

Has anyone found some releases take for ever to come out in Canada? The only specific Anime/Manga store around me is called Sakura Media. Ever since it was released, I've been looking for Black Lagoon there. Just recently, they finally got volume 1. Now I've noticed they don't have Red Garden even though it came out almost 2 weeks ago. I might be being paranoid but Im concerned it may be the same problem. These are the only titles I've noticed this with, but there easilly could be more.

Has anyone else noticed problems like this at other stores? Im wondering if its just something wierd with that store or an overall thing maybe to do with being in Canada.
DClark

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:34 am Reply with quote
For Black Lagoon specifically, check London Drugs. I bought the DVD 1 limited edition, DVD 2 limited edition, and DVD 3 regular edition at the one at Coquitlam Centre. The one at Lougheed Mall also seems to have an adequate selection of titles. The FutureShop at Coquitlam Centre used to be pretty decent at getting in anime but they've really gone downhill lately (and they don't even bother to organize their anime section - stuff is all out of place, a tell-tale sign that they don't care about what they have in stock).

Lately I've been ordering from Rightstuf (especially with the strong canadian dollar) but I've also ordered stuff from The C&L Internet Club. They usually don't have the best prices, but they're reasonable and they seem to have quite a bit of anime.
ikarisama

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:33 pm Reply with quote
If you can order online Rightstuf and Amazon are not bad choices with the strong Canadian Dollar. If not as said above London Drugs or CD Plus can be good places to find new releases. Both also do some degree of custom ordering so if they don't have it they can usully get it.
violented16

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:15 am Reply with quote
I'm from the Northwest Territories and this being so there isn't an anime/manga store ANYWHERE close to me. I have ordered online for all my stuff. I always used Roberts Anime Corner Store with absolutely no issues what so ever and they have great prices. Shipping on 18 dvd's or 20 manga volumes is always around 20-30$ but on 200-300$ worth of product thats nothing. Keep in mind I am 11 hours north of Edmonton Alberta so shipping is quite a ways Razz.
Thats if you want to shop online though. If you don't I'm sorry i don't have any advise.
Teumessian

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:48 am Reply with quote
I'm in the NWT as well. On the rare occasion that I go down south, I usually hit the Chapters and comic shop in the West Edmonton Mall.
Generally though I order from RightStuf when they have a storewide sale. Now that I have mostly caught up with all my series, studio sales just don't add up to the free shipping point.
Deep Discount is good too, sometimes they have harder to find stuff. Flat shipping rate of $5 is great, but they only have two decent book sales a year in May and I think November.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1