• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What happened to Crunchyroll's Backlog Dubs ?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Farhanawesome

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2023 11:02 pm Reply with quote
During the pre merger like in 2020-2021, Funimation start go back and dub lots lesser known anime that didn't get a simuldub for their streaming and their Home media release like Dropout Idol Fruit Tart, Love Live! Nijigasaki High School Idol Club, Show By Rock!! Stars!! etc. they also use lots of outsource studios other than just Sound Cadence Studios or Okratron 5000 like NYAV POST, Studio Nano and New Generation Pictures.

When CR merger began from what i know, they also start their backlog dubs with Miss Kuroitsu, and then in following season they also began to dub more backlog anime in english either a simuldub or a full season dub like Fruit of Evolution, TSUKIMICHI Moonlit Fantasy, Love Live Superstar, Takt Op Destiny, Remake Our life, Don't Hurt Me, My Healer, Sing Yesterday For Me, The Great Jahy will not be defeated, GIVEN, Yuru Camp S1 (Laid Back Camp) and even giving Natsume Yuujincho english dub for the first time! with Crunchyroll dubbing many more shows in English, there's certainly hope that more popular shows will be dubbed soon.

But for now, maybe i'm wrong about CR future dubs and start losing hope because it seems that CR not doing more backlog dubs anymore. The last backlog english dubs in this year was Berserk Memorial Edition, Gundam Witch From Mercury S1, Pride of Orange (full season), Utawarerumono Mask of Truth and s3 of Natsume. no more new dubs from Bluray release and CR also stop dubbing sequels from Funimation previous licensed anime like Love Live Superstar S2, LOGH Die Neue These S4, Vampire Die In No time S2, MIX Meisei S2, and recently, some anime like Skip and Loafer, Magical Destroyer, My One hit Kill Sister, Yuri Is My Job, Fuuto P.I, Do it Yourself, Dance Dance Danseur, Campfire Cooking with My Absurb skills is getting a dub in other language except english.

I wonder whats happened and why did CR stop doing backlog dubs ? is it because some title weren't successful enough as they hoped ? i could come up with some conspiracy theory that the other outsource studios and the VA from other states including some of them from L.A refuse to work/cooperate with Crunchyroll after the mutiple controversy like low paid or anti union, i think thats why there were no more good backlog dubs especially an anime like Bocchi The Rock.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2023 12:18 am Reply with quote
Speaking of unfinished backlog dubs, is Crunchyroll ever going to dub the Free the Final Stroke movies? They just dumped both movies subbed on Crunchyroll with no announcement and nothing since then and not even a physical release.
InfiniteJest

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2023 8:57 am Reply with quote
It feels like everything related to the Funimation title migration has stalled. I still seen tons of titles that are only available on Funimation..,despite being told that if I sign up for CR I’ll have access which I don’t. They are still locked up behind a Funimation login. And as a dub watcher that means. CR isn’t helping me.

On another note CR lists sub:dub but without respect to language so I was excited to watch Skip and Loafer (one example) only to find that it’s dubbed but not in English.

Found this a few times now which is almost as annoying as seeing a title listed on CR only to go and see it’s only season 3 or 4 with no clue where the first couple seasons are (often still on Funimation!)

Feel like I was falsely advertised to when signing up for CR
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1