• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Don't Hurt Me, My Healer! (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 4:04 pm Reply with quote

Don't Hurt Me, My Healer! (TV)

Genres: comedy, fantasy
Themes: demi-humans

Plot Summary: The "isekai burnt-out adventurer comedy" centers on two adventurers: the hopeless swordsman Arvin, and the sarcastic dark-elf healer Karla, who seems to be more talented with ticking people off than healing.

Apr. 10, 2022 (Sundays; Crunchyroll)
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:20 am Reply with quote
NOBODY is talking about this!?

I watched the first two episodes. It's a scream....literally I had to cover my mouth from laughing too loud. Laughing

Highly recommend.

I forgot to mention, the English title Sentai went with is really dumb and not an accurate translation at ALL. (sentai huh, what else is new?) Makes the MC sound like a whiny baby...which he is not.

Mendoukusai translates to "annoyance" or "burden". Personally I would have called this show "This Healer is a Real Pain". Laughing
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 7:31 pm Reply with quote
I've been enjoying it, too. Carla is a hoot. She would fit in with the KonoSuba crowd quite nicely!
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:49 am Reply with quote
SHE SURE WOULD. Laughing

I'm not that far in yet...but I love how every 'monster' is spoiler[ just a reasonable, understanding soul.] This trope is incredibly funny to me. It's reminiscent of Dragon Goes House hunting and I really enjoyed that show too.

Cyclops: *stares*
Alvin: Oh...um, we're not ready yet, can you give us a minute?
Cyclops: Oh, sure. *walks away*

LMAOLaughing

...if only they were like that in Genshin Impact....xD
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I like that element, too. You haven't gotten that far yet, but there is a spoiler[necromancer] who I think you will quite like.
MaritLage

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:38 pm Reply with quote
ooh , necromancer
maybe i did watch this show before
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Er, you kind of negated my spoiler. I put it in just in case Chiibi didn't want to know what I was talking about in advance. I was giving her the option. Please be more careful in the future.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:10 pm Reply with quote
That's okay; I only get upset at really big spoilers lol

I have to put the show on hold for a little bit but I'm definitely coming back to it!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:57 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't say that every joke has landed, but a lot of the early stuff was in service of setting Carla characterisation that it can get a whole lot of mileage out lamp shading how awful she is. It less funny when it feels like it is just picking on Arvin as weak, but when they can spit barbs at each other but you know they actually kind of care about the other, it is fun.

Also when Carla's awful character is targeted against others, such as the undead and the old lady. I think it hit its stride when Carla isn't just focused on Arvin, and he is stuck somewhere between saying she sucks, but also still getting influenced by her maybe trying to help the situation. Or not help as it may be condescending pity.

Her trying to look cute by winking gets me almost every time.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:10 pm Reply with quote
DP, if we were in a party together, I'd make Carla's comments about Alvin seem like the sweetest compliments in the world compared to my slagging of you!!!

Well not really, but that's my empty threat!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Considering the show set up a bit of being able to go off on one another being how close they are. I guess thanks, Blood-.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:31 am Reply with quote
Laughing You are definitely a "glass half full" kind of person, DP!
MaritLage

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 2:31 pm Reply with quote
(She/Her)

S01E01

Sooo the guy in the armor is Krasi .
The "healer" that started off the series by cursing Krasi with a 300-meter Stalker Zone is Reg (Made in Abyss) , who has been stalking Oshio (Summer Time Rendering) like a living bear trap . And even the [expletive] bear is like , "This circumstance is really fucked up . Can we take this in another direction ?"

#Krasi<It>_
<DIDN>__

These Strixes really do say "Kill me!" (Ost Hourai) , "Kill me , please!" (Healer) , "Just kill me!" (Bandit (SkeletonKnight)) when they get caught , eh?

We should take the tap on the AdrenoChrome and squeeze it shut tight . The Organic producers have established their foundations , the Signal Fire to international intelligence communities is lit , the Houri are on full [expletive] alert , and people are selling their scrap farms like they were last year·s fracking operations . The stuff is made by squeezing it out of human adrenal glands , it should not be difficult to make this case .
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:54 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

I know that the OP went out of its way to showcase who the guest characters were, but I didn't actually expect that they would all show up like they did. I enjoyed that. Also, while the crown was throwing out the bullshit lovers of a previous life, as soon as he said half a century I knew it was fake because Carla is older than that.

I was pretty sure that there never was a curse put on Alvin that kept him from leaving Carla, so whether the crown unknowingly removed or not doesn't really seem important. Carla was clearly really lonely. I was kind of hoping Alivin would show any skill other apparently being physically pathetic, he is like the reverse of a power fantasy.

I came into the show with actually really low expectations, I thought that they would all be boring jokes that just barely used the fantasy setting, and generally not provide anything memorable. But I do think that this show actually did a good job in training the audience to get into the oddball jokes of "healer" to be the inverse of expectations, just as warrior Alvin would never feed the power fantasy that makes up the fantasy genre in general. Also that this show could really solve its plots without violence being important, in fact more often than not action/violence acted more for a joke to something pretty pointless, especially when said monsters really weren't that bad. Or the general trolling.

My ratting will be Good (7/10). I suppose that is higher, but maybe a bit more of some sort of meat could have made it higher.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:42 pm Reply with quote
I liked the KonoSuba vibe of this (even though, unlike that show, here only the two leads were terrible people and even then really only Carla) and still think a cross-over would be a natural. I'd love to see Alvin trying to deal with Megumin's explosions or Darkness's masochistic droolings. His experience with Carla would definitely help with Aqua.

Somebody already mentioned it, but I loved the fact that all the "monsters" in this show were deeply nice entities, except for Dorman.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1