• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Zom 100: Bucket List of the Dead (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:09 am Reply with quote
Well, to be frank, I see either one of two things happening. The first is that the remaining 3 episodes get released like a short movie all at once. The second option is them choosing to show them like regular, but that would mean we will not see the episodes until next year, making a restart from episode 1 likely. The reason is simple, upcoming season is loaded as hell and there is no timeslot left.

As for the episode, It makes sense that some people only get worse due to a zombie apocalypse. Like the walking dead has shown us, you are often better of with the zombies than the humans. I agree that the town is toast, I do not see that ending well at all.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:59 am Reply with quote
If the past is any guide, releasing the three remaining episodes all at once at some point is the more likely option. A similar thing happened recently with NieR: Automata when it got delayed with 4 episodes left. The re-broadcast thing seems to happen when a delay kicks in around the midpoint of a cours. A recent example of that would be Ayakashi Triangle.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 10:19 am Reply with quote
I assume so, that way they would (probably) still release this year. It is still a pity though, lots of delays usually kill the hype/following an anime has.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Thanks Blood. That affirms my theory that anti Akira in fact escaped from the evil mirror dimension posited in Star Trek and the Remedial Chaos episode of Community Wink

Yah, I agree that the village is probably a post script. I just hope not. It's not that I want them to stay there, it's just that I got a little tired of the Walking Dead syndrome where the show spent season after season finding a new place, spending a little time in it, and then having it get wiped out. And we just got away from the boss and more importantly the tragic puppy. Maybe steer away from the dead mom for awhile?

As to the not particularly surprising delay ...

At least they didn't leave us with a cliffh---

Oh. Well, at least it's not a High Scbool of the Dead situation .

Or at least, it's not like Sword Arts Online, where I wish they'd never made episodes 10-12.

There's got to be "At least" that fits the situation somewhere in there.

(The glass is half full of it...).
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2023 5:27 am Reply with quote
So, probably not all that exciting, but Crunchyroll recently said this on twitter/x/whatever it is now: Indefinite hiatus until episodes 10-12 are released in Japan and on streaming. We will keep you informed as soon as we receive new information.

Anything is possible I suppose, but I am not banking on the remaining episodes still coming this year.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 5:46 am Reply with quote
Just read something about episodes 10-12 getting released on Christmas...

And weirdly enough, I still care Smile Just hope the studio spent the time wisely. Somehow, I imagine the production behind this anime being a lot like the work culture it's trying to criticize though I don't really know what's been going on behind the scenes.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 6:19 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I find myself looking forward to the last few episodes too. I do really hope that the final few episodes will end on a high note and that the delay has thus led to a fulfilling conclusion. It is still a real shame that a promising series turned into such a mess and that the black company theme goes for the actual work culture behind the production too.

I might even rewatch a few of the episodes, I did not like the ones with the boss and I do not need to see the first one again, but the shark and Beatrix episodes are amazing.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 7:03 am Reply with quote
Yup, getting to see the rest of Zom 100 will be a nice little Christmas present. Not as nice as the super expensive gift Edjwald no doubt got for me, but still pretty cool...
Edjwald

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Something flashy and trashy like a Saya Otonashi poster - $65.79 cents.

Dispensed wisdom from yours truly - priceless.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2023 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Ho ho ho, tomorrow Santa comes into town with lots of zombies in tow.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2023 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Soooo, it has been a long time, but the series has finally ended. I still think it is a real shame that the many delays killed most of the hype/interest, but it is what it is. I just hope that the people working on it have come out well/healthy. I also hope that the studio has learned something from this.....though I sadly doubt it.

As for the final few episodes, the production quality was excellent and it was pretty damn exciting yet wholesome the whole time. I feel zero sympathy for the villain group and their pasts, they may have had it rough, but a fair bit of it was self inflicted and the things that they have done are not the sort you could forgive. I did like the people of the town though, the show made the most of them and the location in just a few episodes. With the addition of the master crafter they are sure to rebuild the town better than before.

Kudos to the credits bit showing off many of the survivors we saw earlier in the show. They even showed Akira's former neighbours having a lot of fun.

I want to say that a second season would be nice, yet is that even remotely likely after the trainwreck it was production wise?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2023 4:13 am Reply with quote
I have been a bit of a wet blanket with this show, and made it no secret that I had problems with how it felt like through a lens of gender, a lot of female characters in particular feeling like used as props and something that gave me an icky feeling. I must take note that it kind of then feels weird what happened to be the villain traits into these last few episodes.

One was a guy who blamed his wife but apparently didn't put the effort into making her feel special, another had one of the villains tried and failed to sexually assault Shizuka, and the third was an office lady who was apparently unpopular because she was by the books. With the additional elements a little girl to be protected (by Kenichirō) and three random cute women that actually don't happen to be the killed by the zombies for shock value. I could almost swear whoever wrote the manga was informed of parts that feel off and tried address it here.

At the same time I can't attest if it actually handled these things all well. The sexual assault thing in general is uncomfortable, the treat your wife well thing feels forced, and it still felt a bit weird with the little girl questioning if he is into little girls and him taking off his clothes in front of her. But it felt like it tried. Oh, we also had old guy harassing young lady, because he is old, which just never feels like a fun trope.

Going off of other themes, it was when the old folk were talking about how they worked hard, my mind suddenly made a comparison them working exhaustively as farmers, and say the working for a black company that the series mainly criticises. I was wondering if now we were supposed to think that working super hard was now supposed to be a good thing, since it sounded like what they attributed to being able to fight back. I would assume it probably wasn't aware of the comparison, as it wanted it mostly to be about community.

My general thoughts of the series are it being a mixed bag. It has the nice animation, a sense of fun, and a message of freedom. But I also think that last bit does actually add some level of politics and allegory, that I am not sure it was prepared to do, if it was more of just schlock. It has what I think would be blind spots and places where I think its want for goofy that could be uncomfortable in places. My biggest complaint earlier was that it felt like anything involving sexuality as it relates to women felt like it was met by women being turned into zombies, and Beatrix, who I see for reasons would invert this with MC protection, came way too late into the series.

My rating will be Decent (6/10). I can see that those who won't worry about the things that bugged me will probably have a very fun time with the silly zombie show, while others will probably have a tough kind. Lets say people who would probably feel really off by a big guy using a gun to try and force a women to accept him to force his tongue down her throat, and it almost to come across as comical.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2023 4:54 am Reply with quote
Yeah, the big guy was meant to be a disgusting over the top creep, hell, the whole villain/loser group and their own to do list was used to say that people react to something like a pandemic (be it with zombies or not) in very different ways. The thing I am unsure of is whether the show meant for us to feel bad for them or not. They did too many bad things for that imo, though Akira's point that he may have also ended up like that makes sense given how fucked up he way in the first episode.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:35 am Reply with quote
Welp, for my part, I'm glad they wrapped it up without crapping the bed. I still like the series and will certainly watch it again someday, but it's true that I'm not feeling the same degree of enthusiasm for the series that I was experiencing at the beginning. At first I was thinking that this was going to be the series of the year, and now I'm thinking it was pretty fun. Maybe the arrival of Shangri-La Frontier and Frieren smack dab in the middle of this show's many unscheduled interruptions has something to do with that.

I have two...I dunno...reservations? One is that even though this show has never been too concerned with things like realism or probability, the sheer number of things that fell neatly into place for the village arc is a bit overwhelmingly tidy. There just happen to be four counterparts, and one of them just happens to have a bucket list (although in his case, it was more like a f%#k it list). The groups just happen to square off into solo confrontations, and each member just happens to have some kind of epiphany or catharsis about their central issue. There's enough plot armor here to fortify a tank.

The other thing that didn't quite resonate was how hard the show seemed to be trying to capture a feel good vibe at the end. Like there was something desperate and loud about all the laughter and good cheer. But maybe that's a reflection of my mood while I was watching it, not the show..

But I still like the group even if non-funny nudist dude gets a little annoying or creepy at times. I liked Bea's whole sequence, including the water wheel, and I like Shizuka's embrace of her small new community even if the 180 was a bit sudden, and I'm glad our protagonist didn't lose his village and his parents. The zombie ruse was fine (whew, good thing there just coincidentally happened to be a special effects artists from zombie movies in the hut). So yeah.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2023 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Edjwald wrote:
I have two...I dunno...reservations? One is that even though this show has never been too concerned with things like realism or probability, the sheer number of things that fell neatly into place for the village arc is a bit overwhelmingly tidy. There just happen to be four counterparts, and one of them just happens to have a bucket list (although in his case, it was more like a f%#k it list). The groups just happen to square off into solo confrontations, and each member just happens to have some kind of epiphany or catharsis about their central issue. There's enough plot armor here to fortify a tank.

This is honestly why I am so critical of the show. Not that I am just judging it on realism and the lack of it, but that and the plot armour with serious consequence put a greater emphasis on the allegory and how it might treat different groups or subjects. It cannot just brush off something by saying that it is because of realism and what ifs, like an inverse rule of a zombie show where it implies anyone could die.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8