• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Moderators and Moderation

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rukiia

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Aoi_Sakaraba wrote:
Well that's just ridiculous. to Both.

For mine I feel that listing a few still could have lead to a conversation.
I won't sit here and argue though...

AND NO its not truly explained that they were hardly forgotten. Got proof? Sure they might be "random" titles listed on someones thread from like 5 weeks ago for example, but they are not listed with characters to that specific anime.

This community is not like Gaia or many other forums where people post pointless threads. Sorry to say but your "Forgotten Anime" thread was pretty pointless, as well as incorrect. I don't believe that you can actually "forget" about an anime title. The buzz eventually dies down for certain titles but no one would just suddenly forget about it. Younger people might not have heard of a cerain show but, hey, thats where older fans can introduce them to it. I watched things like Chobits almost 10 years ago and still remember the show. And, as Shiroi Hane explained above, it is being re-released on DVD and Blu-ray which will bring in new fans for it.

Maybe if you put reasons as to why you thought those certain titles were forgotten, instead of picking random titles and forming a list, your thread might have been saved from being locked.

As for the Kiss x Sis thread, I personally hate speculation threads and glad they are banned from here. I've seen about 10 different threads with people asking if there is a new Beserk anime and the poor mods were having to explain time and time again about there not being any new news about it. It is really not that hard to look on the web, like Wiki, or even browse on ANN for info on future seasons. Plus its just plain silly to open a thread for a simple yes or no answer.

Sorry that you don't like the rules here but thats how this place rolls.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:59 am Reply with quote
Aoi_Sakaraba wrote:
I also felt bad for the person who had their Kiss X Sis season 2 Thread locked as well for no real reason.
Here's the reasoning behind that lock, as well as all other locks of "Will the be more of <anime>??" threads. This is, first and foremost, a fan forum where anime fans gather to discuss things and ask questions with and of each other. "Will there be more?" questions are questions that no average fan can answer. So if threads of that nature stayed open, the only replies they'd get are things like:

"I dunno lol"
"There isn't one scheduled right now."
"There's nothing about one in the Encyclopedia."
"Maybe, maybe not, this series had #### sales and OtherSimiliarSeries also had around #### sales and it got a sequel."

In short, no interesting or meaningful discussion, only boring, repetitive answers that posters could easily find for themselves if they searched the site -- which Teh Rules do exhort people to do.
ANN makes news reports information coming out of the Japanese rumor mills (Moonphase, 2ch, etc.), and if they get verified, specific information on continuations, it'll get added to the Encyclopedia -- thus avoiding the need to clutter the forums with "Will there be more ____?" questions.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Repeating the same opinion over and over again every single time you get the opportunity will not be tolerated here. You will be (temp/perm)banned if you do this. This is your only warning, you won't get a personalized warning.

Can a staff member please enlighten us to how this rule is supposed to be applied? It airs of a double-standard if the message is "BUY EVERYTHING YOU SEE AND STOP FAN SUBBING! BUY! BUY! SUPPORT THE ARTISTS!" but not of "No dub, no buy."

The caps, for the record, are not mine. Literally, that's how prominent the soapboxing is and I've a very hard time believing the staff/moderators can not see this.

I'd just like to know if the rule is still in place.

This way, some of us can actually read future issues similar to the Fractale pulling without having to worry about begin bombarded with Paploo's bullshit.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Well to some degree I expect that there will be some leeway granted in discussions about fansubs or the like. These discussions are chronically repetitive and so when it comes up it is going to basically involve everyone just repeating their established position from past discussions again. That's why they usually get shut down. If they don't though, I can't really fault someone for restating their position on the matter.

My understanding of the no soapboxing rule is that it applies more so to people who go off on their pet issue in every thread only peripherally related to it. That said, you might be right. Paploo definitely seems to push his luck and turns a lot of threads into 'the ethics of piracy' when they really aren't about that.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Soapboxing is a tricky issue. Generally it primarily applies to those that, as ikillchicken says, see any thread that even remotely applies to their pet topic as an excuse to go off on a tangent about it. A lot of articles come up that are about fansubs and piracy and such and we aren't going to drop the hammer down on people from either side for discussing those topics when they are only discussing the article linked to the thread.

However, if it's a thread about a manga artist doing a movie poster for "Inception" and everyones favorite conspiracy theorist fanboy uses the thread as a platform to rant about how Hollywood is stealing all the anime then that is soapboxing. Another instance would be the whole "I won't buy anything without a dub" comment that another common offender posts pretty much everytime a press release comes out from a company that usually releases sub-only product.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
...then that is soapboxing. Another instance would be the whole "I won't buy anything without a dub" comment that another common offender posts pretty much everytime a press release comes out from a company that usually releases sub-only product.

Any chance of said common offender being banned for that at some point? There's a fiver in it for ya. (And yes, I'm sure you get offered bribes to have me banned as well - the irony is not lost on me.)
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
A lot of articles come up that are about fansubs and piracy and such and we aren't going to drop the hammer down on people from either side for discussing those topics when they are only discussing the article linked to the thread.

So why can't a dub fan talk about his displeasure about a sub-only release when one is announced? Whenever someone talks about how they're disappointed about a sub-only release, the hell hounds are let loose and that person is mocked. Now, of course, from what I see before ignoring the thread is that a lot of the people aren't helping themselves, but some are just making a comment (mostly with some anger, but it's to be expected) and someone will bring out "Well, it's better to have sub-only than nothing at all, so just accept it and stop whining. Gosh, I hate all these whiny baby dub fans."

The thing with Paploo, though, is that he's saying the same thing over and over again in the same thread, not just different threads about the same topic, even though he does that too. He's also being snarky about it with some of his posts. So I don't think there's a difference between he's doing and what dub fans are doing, but he's not even getting a warning.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:22 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
So why can't a dub fan talk about his displeasure about a sub-only release when one is announced? Whenever someone talks about how they're disappointed about a sub-only release, the hell hounds are let loose and that person is mocked. Now, of course, from what I see before ignoring the thread is that a lot of the people aren't helping themselves, but some are just making a comment (mostly with some anger, but it's to be expected) and someone will bring out "Well, it's better to have sub-only than nothing at all, so just accept it and stop whining. Gosh, I hate all these whiny baby dub fans."

No, you're missing the point. There's one particular person I could name who goes out of his way to post in every single thread responding to an announcement about a sub-only release with a "no dub, no buy" comment - seemingly regardless of whether or not he'd ever actually watch the show in the first place. The truly egregious offender(s) are what we're talking about there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:58 am Reply with quote
And there's one person who goes out their way to go an ethics tirade whenever fansubs or scanlations are brought up, and his name is Paploo. See, I'm starting to think the "No Soapboxing" rule is simply the "Shut Up Mario1-7" rule with a pretty bow. I know he's the reason the rule was made, but if you're going to crackdown on soapboxing, you need to crackdown on all of it, or rename the rule to "Shut Up Mario1-7".
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:39 am Reply with quote
Well, in fairness to Paploo, I don't believe he is as relentlessly single-minded as the other poster in question. I believe Paploo does post about other matters. For years now, basically all the other poster has ever done is pop up to chirp out, "No dub, no sale!" Paploo will at least flesh out his posts. I see a distinct difference between the two.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:58 am Reply with quote
From this point on, whenever a sub-only release is even remotely related to the article, I will write long, well thought out posts describing my anger about how all shows should be dubbed, and it's insane that they aren't. I'll make sure to use big words, lots of sentences, quote tons of people, shrug off opposing opinions, use lots of links, and make a minimum of 10 posts in a thread to prove to the forum that my stance is the right one. I will then dare anyone to call me out on soapboxing so that I can say "I'm using walls of text instead of one-liners, which means I'm not soapboxing."
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:59 am Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
Soapboxing is a tricky issue.

I understand, but there's a difference between conversations leading to endless argument vs. those that are purposely posted to beat the same drum while ignoring the discussion at hand.

When a user copies text from previous posts to pound the same message, this is when it goes from conversation to blatant "Hey, I don't care what you said, look at what this publisher said."

Users have called out the action. Not because of the message, but because the replies are not part of the discussion. In this case, I would believe the issue is now soap-boxing, rather than discussion.

From a moderation standpoint, I can accept the possibility the behavior is not noticed (Key would see one thread, and dismiss it, and Keonyn another, again dismiss it) but the users certainly do notice it.

@Blood-:
I concur Paploo does converse, but in the matters of piracy, that's when it stops becoming a conversation.

I drew the line when the (now edited) message appeared in the ANNCast thread (which seemed extremely out of place when Shawne announced 2010 was a good year and meant people are buying) after having seen it three times in the Fractale thread.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:31 am Reply with quote
Well, folks, considering "no dub, no sale" boy is still allowed to do his thing (from what I can see) I think the odds of anything being done about anybody else are slim.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:07 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:

I can only imagine the headache this must give the moderators who have to edit these types of posts.

I have to wonder though, how many anime companies (besides Funimation) actually read the comments on this forum? With all the subtitle only releases as of recently, I wonder if they are aware of what people think?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6