• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Migi & Dali (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2023 5:13 am Reply with quote
The thing about that third hand in the OP is that it's wearing the same clothes and has that same elfin slenderness as the twins.

I've been trying to figure out if there's supposed to be a triplet (?!?) out there that the twins don't know about, or if the other twin sneaked back out of frame and grabbed the pie, indicating some future division between the siblings, or what. One twin does seem to be more hard core and ruthless than the other.

I've also been trying to figure out the...CP? Ending musical sequence? The music there suggests some kind of heartwarming journey that doesn't have much to do with the tone of the show I'm watching.

Is there an active verb for when you watch something and go "What the hell?" You like something. You dislike something. I "what the helled" the scene where the twins slithered out of the side holes of the tent like snakes without pulling the fabric down.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2023 6:14 am Reply with quote
Edjwald wrote:
Is there an active verb for when you watch something and go "What the hell?" You like something. You dislike something. I "what the helled" the scene where the twins slithered out of the side holes of the tent like snakes without pulling the fabric down.

Pretty sure that there is something Lovecraft-esque that could be used to describe the contradictory feelings of something you recognise as both amazing but also horrifying in ways almost indescribable. Like looking upon Nyarlathotep, who you could simultaneously recognise as the most charismatic person you would ever meet, and a bottomless that mankind would be best to never set eyes upon. Or Gaunter O'Dimm.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2023 1:30 pm Reply with quote
I am still fascinated by having no idea how the show will pan out. In the case of most anime it is not that hard to make an educated guess on how the story will generally progress. Here I can see it going many ways, some anything but happy. Genre wise I also still see funny moments and downright disturbing/creepy bits.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2023 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3

Well, Migi certainly got the better of that deal (i.e. getting used as the sister's hug pillow as opposed to having to see Bird Boy's bizarre get up). Enjoyed watching Buck Tooth get his comeuppance, too.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2023 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, Dali's definitely calling the shots, as the elder brother, I guess. I only noticed during the janken game, but of course Migi is right handed and Dali is left handed, which is part of what threw a curve at bucky boy (that and Dali just not taking his crap anymore, even if it was aimed at his bro).

I was surprised they had so much trouble with the rope walk. I figured it'd be a piece of cake (betcha thought I was gonna say a walk in the park, huh), considering some of the acrobatics they've displayed on the regular.

Don't know what Birdie's damage is, but that boy ain't right. Very Happy
Edjwald

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2023 6:00 pm Reply with quote
I just watched episode 3, and I think I'm still watching this show because it's got sort of a carnival sideshow repulsion/fascination thing going on? At least for me. That and all of the little mysteries, and the growing conviction that the twins might be the two most regular people on the show. It's a little bit like watching David Lynch get animated.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2023 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, David Lynch is a good comparison. The slithering made me think more Tim Burton, but I think Lynch is more apt because of how mysterious this is. I feel if it were just plain weird with a less serious story (and more gothic), it'd be Burton-esque.

As for the episode, glad to see Bucktooth Boy get shown up. If he really is their slave, now, that could come in handy for later. Bird Boy seems nice, but a bit off his rocker with wanting to actually be one. Heck, I'm sure he'll even be able to fly/glide, at some point. I think with Migi and Dali having a certain rapport with each of those "friends," it'll come back to help them in certain scenarios.

But I agree with the repulsion/fascination gimmick. It's surreal, yet somehow entertaining, and very unique. I can see this going simultaneously light and dark at the same time, while still not missing a beat. It's a very good kind of weird.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2023 10:40 am Reply with quote
Episode 4

This show continues to be a reliable purveyor of the truly weird. Going on a date with your twin brother because you don't recognize him disguised as a beautiful girl? A ruse that began as a way for Dali to be in the library without getting chased out? And then morphs into a ploy to motivate Migi to study harder? Sure, why not? I feel shame that when Migi said that the girl had eyes like their mother I didn't immediate clue into what was going on. Ha ha, looking forward to more wackiness to come.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2023 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Credit were credit is due, the show is very unpredictable and switches between wacky and creepy on the drop of a hat. Yet, despite the events of this week, I still consider the twins to be relatively sane compared to some of the other people around them.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2023 8:06 pm Reply with quote
I still can't wrap my head around the idea that either of the twins - both of whom fart when their brother eats beans - couldn't recognize his sibling under any circumstances.

But hey, maybe it's one of those "too close to see the obvious" things. Like those mornings when I spend 10 minutes looking for my backpack, not realizing I'm wearing it.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2023 5:39 am Reply with quote
Has anyone else found the Japanese writing to feel really weird? The setting really feels like it is not in Japan, and then we the writing be Japanese, and I suppose the school in this episode.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 11:08 am Reply with quote
So, with this series I long wondered which way things would go: either the way of mostly funny yet creepy jokes but staying chill or going pretty dark. With episode 9 we have an answer: it is one of the most surprising episodes of the year for me and it seems like the fun/comfy times are over.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2023 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Episode 11

This show is just so gloriously weird. It had kind of dipped for me at a certain point and I even started having mental reservations about sticking with it, especially since I've been a veritable Edward Scissorhands with tons of other shows, dropping 'em like Edjwald's soggy coffee filters into the trash. But in the last two episodes, the show has redeemed itself in my eyes and I'm glad I soldiered on. Two more episodes left and I'm sure there's still lots of bizarre twists and turns to come.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2023 11:42 pm Reply with quote
So I guess the pie-grabber in the last second of the OP is Eiji? Very Happy But luckily our boys have already defeated that room's lock several times, from childhood on, so getting out shouldn't be a problem.

DuskyPredator wrote:
I suppose they really could up the weird factor by having some of the other kids also be little weirdos.

Just wanted to acknowledge that you definitely called it early on, except you were too conservative in your prediction. Laughing

Edjwald wrote:
I've been trying to figure out if there's supposed to be a triplet (?!?) out there that the twins don't know about

Kudos to your prescience too!
Edjwald

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2023 5:08 am Reply with quote
Maybe if there's a season 3 or 4 we'll find out she was a Octo-mom?

Anyway, I've barely been hanging in there with this show too. I don't watch it on the day it premieres anymore, I wait a few days or a week. Doing the same thing with the one about the middle aged dude in a VRMMO and the Saint's Magic Power. I wouldn't have stuck with this one except for those weird little moments of shock that get sprinkled in like chocolate chips in a bland cookie. But it does seem to be gaining a bit of momentum towards the finish. .
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3