• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Primacy of Consciousness in the Ends of Evangelion

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ucnslowdnce

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Pleroma wrote:
Now, onto the more specific issue of TV vs movie ending, I don't see why the two have to separated rather than form part of the same continuity. The post-instrumentality events in EoE don't really give us a timescale, something that would see like only a minute and maybe evn be a minute objectively, could be years or centuries to a single conciousness. We know Shinji experiences instrumentality and ultimately rejects it, but the events of the TV ending could well simply be contained within his time as part of the joint conciousness. The happiness from the TV ending could easily lead to the realizations of its falseness and the eventual rejection.

I agree with this. I see the TV ending and the movie ending coinciding with eachother rather than being alternate endings. One showing what was psychologically going on, and the other showing what was physically going on. I interpreted the whole "Congratulations" thing as Shinji having made his choice--the choice he made in the movie. They just never elaborate on what it is at the end of the TV series, thus why we have the movie to tie up loose ends.

As for his decision, I know running away was a big deal for him, but what I got out of it was that Shinji was more or less a masochist and chose to live a normal human life that contained pain and suffering. I think my interpretation is kind of strange and hard to explain...I think there's a part in all of us (slightly psychotic or insane) that's like that. Like, we seek it out sometimes because even though it's something we don't particularly like, we get a thrill out of it deep down? If you think about it, our lives would be kind of boring without it. We need the bad to go with the good; a counter-balance of power, if you will. Eh, I'm just babbling about nothing now.

Anyway, my two cents.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
DrizzlingEnthalpy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:19 pm Reply with quote
I'd say the endings are somewhat concurrent, but even if you choose to believe so, they still ARE different on certain things, especially things they're the same on. For example, the few glimpses into the "real world" you see in episode 25:

-Ritsuko was shot and fell into a pool of LCL, but in the show she was on her belly and in the movie she was on her back.

-Misato was shot, but in the show she was in front of a wall without an elevator, whereas in the movie there was clearly an elevator in front of her.

The main idea is concurrent, but the finer details are not.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2